Our Research Projects
Cetos's scientific research efforts are currently focused in the Pacific waters of Hawai'i, as well as the Gulf of Maine, Alaska, Washington,
California, and elsewhere throughout the world, including studies of the critically endangered vaquita in Mexico.
Humpback Behavior Project
Our longest running project on the behavioral
ecology of Hawaiian humpback whales.
Offshore acoustic and visual surveys
Deepwater surveys looking at vocalizations of different species
using different techniques.
Behavior, photo-identification, and population studies of this critically endangered porpoise only found in Mexico.
Please make a tax deductible donation to Cetos Research Organization
What is Cetos
Cetos Research Organization is a non-profit organization with a focus on studying endangered marine species and other wildlife species about which little is known. We identify and assess anthropogenic impacts especially on marine wildlife, and when appropriate, propose solutions to minimize potential disturbances. We have offices on the east coast (Cetos Atlantic), California (Cetos Pacific), and Hawai'i. All our personnel contribute on our various projects throughout the US and internationally.
Monitoring Surveys and Mitigation
Cetos Research LLC is a business arm of our collective with staff who bring the capability to lead and perform monitoring surveys for marine mammals and sea turtles, the experience to address mitigation work, and the background to produce environmental documentation such as EISs, EAs, BAs, etc. Our monitoring surveys can be performed from vessels and/or aerial based platforms for at-sea observations. Cetos LLC can supply a variety of reports and products, including but not limited to survey designs, mitigation plans, environmental reports, and more. These surveys are effective both as strategies to collect “baseline” data in waters where future projects will occur, or for real-time assessment of any effects of active offshore projects. Our reports cover issues related to ESA, MMPA, and NEPA.
For more on Cetos LLC, please check out the link for past surveys we have done and our Cetos LLC page.
Cetos Recent News
- Join us on Facebook! “Like” us and follow our news: Cetos Research Organization
- New Publication! Hierarchical and rhythmic organization in the songs of Humpback Whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) – In Press, Bioacoustics, June 2012, Vol. 21, No. 2.141-156
- Cetos assisting in baseline marine mammal studies in the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, spring and summer 2013
- Cetos Researchers Meeting early January 2013 in Dominical, Costa Rica
- Cetos Director and staff attended Pacific Life’s 2013 Southern California Marine Mammal Workshop February 2013
- Developing tagging study for winter 2014 as part of our underwater behavior and call study of humpbacks in Hawaiian waters. Possible sites include the Northwest Hawaiian Islands.
- Whale chocolates sales increased in 2012 from the year before. Launched in 6/8/10 (World’s Oceans Day), our delicious dark chocolate whale confections in partnership with renowned CA chocolatier Coco Délice are a success. A portion of the sales go to our research. Buy Chocolates with a Conscience.
- Cetos awarded a Marisla grant for our 2013 Vaquita study
- Cetos and Viva Vaquita continue to team with Dr. Tom Jefferson in his efforts to study this highly endangered marine mammal. See our Vaquita page to learn more or to donate directly via Paypal.
- Cetos and Tree Frog Treks continue to team to educate kids about wildlife in the Bay Area as part of After School Programs; successfully funded for three more years!
- Cetos collaborated with Allied Whale in Bar Harbor, Maine, sharing our humpback whale fluke IDs from a recent Antarctic survey, adding to the Antarctic Humpback Whale Fluke Catalogue administered by Allied Whale.
- Cetos has cool gifts! We have Cetos athletic socks, and logo stickers for your car, boat, pelican case, snowboard, etc! When you make a donation, we will send you a thank you gift. Read more about it on our Support Cetos page. Information about our new chocolates are on that page, too.
- Paper on underwater Hawaiian humpback whale calf behavior – submitted, Jan. 2013
(Contact us for the PDFs)
- 2010. Pacific Science. Rare sightings of a Bryde's whale and sei whales northeast of O'ahu, Hawai'i.
- Read our Archives